Sat, Aug 21|
121st Annual Iowa By The Sea Picnic
The Iowa By The Sea Picnic is a family event, with lots of activities, games, and fun for everyone! Our picnic focuses on the fun and safety of all attendees.
Time & Location
Aug 21, 2021, 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM
Los Angeles, 250 S Harbor Blvd, San Pedro, CA 90731, USA
About The Event
COMMUNICATION – We are committed to communicating and processing information through the internet in terms of our website, social media (Facebook) and emails. Use of the Postal Service to communicate for the picnic is expensive and ineffective. For individuals who do not have internet access, we try to team them up with a relative, friend or neighbor who are willing to relay updated information to them. We do not want to leave any Iowan or individual out who are interested in the picnic.
PARKING – The Port Authority owns the parking lot in front of the battleship and the ship is not associated with that operation. Current rates are the first hour is free and then it is $2 for each additional hour or fraction thereof. We encourage attendees to carpool to the extent possible.
TRANSPORTATION – We have had instances in which potential guests cannot drive to San Pedro for the picnic and we try to accommodate them by matching them up with another guest who has room and location to support them. If you know of anyone in that situation, please arrange transportation if you can or send an email to email@example.com outlining their needs with contact information and we will try and match them up with another guest for transportation.
LUNCH – Over the past several years we used a caterer to provide and serve the picnic lunch but changed to a caterer providing the food but guests doing the servicing. This dramatically drove down the costs of the picnic and eliminated the need to pay for food by individuals with buying in bulk. So, along with the BBQ and salad meal we also provide corn on the cob along with cake and ice cream. Water and lemonade are also provided for our guests.
ENTERTAINMENT – We are in the process of identifying this next year’s entertainment but we have been fortunate in the past few years to attract excellent entertainment at a reasonable cost. As soon as we identify the entertainment we will inform our members by email.
- Iowa State Symbols – Our focus at the picnic is on the State of Iowa. We developed a display of State of Iowa symbols with short write-ups about each of them. Symbols include the Iowa State Bird – Eastern Goldfinch, State Flower – Wild Rose and the State Tree – Oak, among others.
- Iowa Map – We invite our picnic guests to place push pins in our Iowa Map to show their connection to Iowa in terms of city or town and county. Further, if we know a guests ‘connection to Iowa’ we include the city/ town on their name tag to further the socialization of our guests. That connection to Iowa could be born in Iowa, lived in Iowa, went to school here or married someone from the State.
- American Gothic – Our display of Grant Wood’s painting of American Gothic with appropriate decorations including a milk can and bales of hay positioned in front of Battleship Iowa with her guns in the background. A real hit with our guests with multiple pictures of themselves taken with the painting in the background.
- Iowa: A History as a First in the Nation State – This article displayed from the Newsletter of the State Historical Society of Iowa (IOWA HISTORIAN) identifies the many firsts when the State of Iowa has led the nation in notable events.
- Cedar Rapids Museum of Art – The museum granted us permission to reproduce photographic digital files of two famous Iowa painters, Grand Wood and Marvin Cone. Permission must be requested each year as them retain ownership of the works of art. Current images displayed at the picnic are: Marvin Cone, Cloud Bank, 1930 Grant Wood, Woman with Plants, 1938 Marvin Cone, From Iowa, 1940 Grant Wood, Spring in the Country, 1941 Marvin Cone, River Bend No. 5, 1929
- Door Prizes – Door Prizes are generally awarded throughout the day, and, as in the past, we will have door prize tickets with guest names on them in lieu of raffle tickets with numbers that guests must watch. The number of Door Prizes are contingent on how aggressive we are in pursuing them.
- Iowa Memorabilia – We display items from or about the State of Iowa reflecting Iowa’s rich history, cultural background, and significant Iowa events. Other memorabilia reflect the flavor, character and uniqueness of the State of Iowa. Examples of current Iowa Memorabilia are ‘Famous Iowans’, books such as, ‘The Return of Iowa’s Bald Eagles’, ‘Murals of Iowa’, ‘Epic Surge – Eastern Iowa’s Unstoppable Flood of 2008’, and ‘The Yards – A Way of Life’. An article by Doris Nelson, wrote ‘The Iowa Association of Long Beach – A Brief History’ traces the history of our organization from the beginning in 1900 until the mid-1980’s. Iowa Memorabilia is the property of the Iowa Association of Long Beach and is not available for distribution.
- Silent Auction – Certain donated items will be available through a bidding process with an established minimum bid and minimum subsequent bids based on the value of each item. Normally, the minimum initial bid is half the full value of the item. Silent auction items may be donated by anyone including our picnic members, Iowa/ California businesses, non-profit organizations or government institutions.
- Iowa Picnic Store – We have a few select items for sale in our store that contributes to supporting the picnic financially. We are cautious about the items we add to our inventory so that we do not wind up with dead stock. Guests are encouraged to suggest additional items for our inventory and to purchase items that we currently carry. Items may be purchased for cash or checks made out to the ‘Iowa Association of Long Beach’.
- Free Stuff Iowa & California – Items contributed from Iowa and California businesses, colleges and universities, picnic members, associations, visitor centers or organizations that may be taken in reasonable quantities for the enjoyment of our guests. Emphasis is on sharing with all guests.
- Iowa Corn Guessing Game – At the Information Desk guests are invited to estimate the number of corn kernels in a group of containers and the person closest to the actual number of kernels receives a prize. Contest tickets for each guest will be available at the Registration Desk
***Important Note: Your ticket to the picnic will be your name tag that will be available when you sign in at the picnic. No documentation will be sent to you by mail.
+$0.50 service fee
+$0.50 service fee0
Child (12 & Under)
+$0.25 service fee
+$0.25 service fee0